Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Things I will miss


It's been a crazy couple weeks.
Recovering from the stomach flu.
Finishing up the All Balanchine Rep.
Catching up on my Interpersonal Communications course.
And packing. Packing. Packing.

You see on Sunday we will be moving - that is, my parents and I will be moving. Our home finally sold (it's been on and off the market for I think 3 years?) and after 23 years of living in this beautiful place we will be saying good-bye for good.
It's been quite the whirlwind the past two weeks with Mom and Dad "burning the midnight oil" as they tirelessly work to remodel our new home we'll be moving in to, ready or not.
Having three weeks off from work, I therefore took it upon myself to pack up our entire home, and believe me it's had its overwhelming moments... With it's unlimited storage space, and the fact that we've had this space available for the past 23 years, it's an understatement when I say that we've accumulated a lot of "stuff." And having a sentimental (a.k.a. pack-rat) father doesn't help the situation either. Needless to say I've sorted, I've tossed, I've boxed, I've packed and I've taped more than I ever wish to in this lifetime. If I never saw a moving box again it would still be too soon.
Typically sorting through and packing up our old photos, artwork, report cards, belongings - shoot, even kitchen utensils - triggers fond memories and stories, but with the mad dash that this move has been thus far, it's left little time to reminisce.
So, five days away from the big adieu, with our home looking more and more like a bare and empty house I'm realizing how desperately I'm going to miss it.

Here's a list of things I will miss:
  • Waking up to the chorus of birds chirping, singing and buzzing about.
  • The Katsura trees - their branches softly waving and leaves shimmering in the wind.
  • The way the house was immaculately decorated at Christmas-time, and opening presents in the Fireplace alcove.
  • Having friends and family over for dinner with everyone congregating in the kitchen, seated at the bar watching Daddy cook.
  • The guest room shower and it's amazing shower head and water pressure.
  • Our beautiful deck that's been a stage for many a talent show, a 50th Birthday party dance floor, a summer home for the WC College Group, and provided countless hours of sun-bathing and BBQing.
  • My room.
  • Walking up to Mom's beautifully decorated Birthday table in the kitchen.
  • The amazing wildlife that made our home in the middle of Bellevue seem like it was in the middle of nowhere. A special thank you to all the quail, pheasants, rabbits, coyotes and deer that enriched our lives.
  • Hearing the coyotes howl and yelp in the middle of the night. SO cool!!!!
  • And most of all, the sunsets... Oh those beautiful sunsets!

I have been blessed beyond measure to grow up in such a beautiful and wonderful home, but truthfully home is not about a building or structure, but about the things that happen within it... the people, the love, the lessons, the life and the memories we create with in it together. So, as I leave this home I look forward to the day (hopefully soon!) when I will be able to create all of these things in my very own home.

How lovely is your dwelling place,
O LORD Almighty!
My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.
Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young—
a place near your altar,
O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you.
Selah

Psalm 84:1-4

No comments: