Sunday, August 1, 2010

Signs

Wow. I know this may seem like a contradiction in itself, but I really have no words to describe the show that just happened tonight. Honestly, I think I just need to let it sink in a little. Don't worry you'll probably hear about it tomorrow. It was all good. It was great. But I'm just tired. No. Exhausted.

So what's this post about anyhow? 

Well it's about eagles. 
Seriously? Eagles? 
Well actually yes. But let me do a little explaining... 

No. This is not the band I'm referring to (although they are pretty awesome), but the bird. You see eagles have been randomly popping up in my life these days. In fact, before I left for Vail I saw an eagle almost every day, be it on the long pier at my cabin, sitting on that ugly sculpture that resides next to the 520 bridge, or perched atop a tree outside the Roanoke Inn on Mercer Island. They're everywhere. It's like my eyes have the eagle-dar embedded in them. If there's an eagle in the vicinity I spot it. 
So is this a sign? 
Typically I don't believe in "signs," but a while ago I kept seeing Mini Coopers on the road. One day I counted 14 on my daily commute. 14!!!!! I thought to myself, maybe this means I'm supposed to buy a Mini. Ha! If only. This wasn't a sign - I saw the Minis because I wanted to see them. I was just being silly, and foolishly looking for an excuse to indulge in an impractical purchase.
But there's something different with the eagles... 
Well as you know I've recently been feeling pretty awful. Having anemia and my dancing schedule has been stressful, to say the least. There have been days when I've wondered how I was going to do it. If I could stand up in the shower without falling over that was a pretty good start. I've been tired. I've been exhausted. Frankly, sometimes I just want to throw in the towel. I despair. 

But time after time the Lord's brought me back to this chapter in Isaiah - Chapter 40. 
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young me stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40: 28-31
I read these verses and I wonder where my hope's been. M.I.A. - that's where it's been. At this moment I am weak. I am not strong. But if my hope is in the Lord, then He will renew my strength. I will soar on wings like eagles. I will be like my eagle friends I keep seeing. He's reminding me of this. Reminding me to put my hope in Him. And if that weren't enough on a really rough day when I was questioning whether I was actually going to be able to climb this mountain of Vail and dance He said this to me in my devotional. (Yes I realize I quote this devotional all the time so forgive me if this sounds preachy or redundant. I hope instead it blesses you.)
"HOPE is a golden cord connecting you to heaven. This cord helps you hold your head up high, even when multiple trials are buffeting you. I never leave your side, and I never let go of your hand. But without the cord of hope, your head may slump and your feet may shuffle as you journey uphill with Me. Hope lifts your perspective from your weary feet to the glorious view you can see from the high road. You are reminded that the road we're traveling together is ultimately a highway to heaven. When you consider this radiant destination, the roughness or smoothness of the road ahead becomes much less significant. I am training you to hold in your heart a dual focus: My continual Presence and the hope of heaven."
So... I'm holding on to hope. I'm keeping my focus on the One who can and will renew my strength. And I'm claiming this promise. I will dance and not grow weary. I will soar on wings like my eagle friends. 
A sign? You decide.

No comments: