Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A day for love

Well Valentines Day was yesterday... And to be honest I'd almost completely forgotten about it. To me it was pretty much just a Tuesday.
Actually I was pretty proud of myself because usually I'm a total hater on this Hallmark holiday. But this year instead of ranting and scoffing at the silliness/bordering on ridiculousness of the red and pink sights that accosted my eyes, I chose to smile. To be happy for all those people who were updating their Facebook statuses with date night plans. Good for them! Hope they had fun.

Instead this year I tried to be aware of those around me who don't have anyone. As I ran my various errands yesterday I became increasingly aware of all the lonely faces. The downcast ones. The burdened was. The ones with sad expressions. And each one pierced my heart.
I've been there. I know what that feels like. It sucks. A lot.

There always seems to be this feeling of the Haves and the Have-Nots on Valentines Day and you're either on one team or the other. I've always hated this. Why can't everyone be on the same team? Why the division? Why the exclusion?

Well it doesn't have to be that way. Valentines Day is a day that's all about love, right? Well I've said this before... I think it's silly that we need a day to celebrate the love we have for one another. If you love someone, be it a husband, a wife, a boyfriend/girlfriend, a family member, a friend... whoever, you should let them know every day that you love them.
But the other thing I think I've not only come to understand, but really truly experience is this:
There is Someone who always loves me. No matter what. Whether I'm wearing nasty sweats or look like a million bucks He thinks I'm beautiful. There is Someone who pursues me passionately... better than the best looking guy in any romantic movie. He's my knight in shining armor who comes and saves me. Shoot! He's even got a white horse!

Who is this Someone? His name is Jesus. He's really wonderful. And I'm so thankful He loves me, and that I can be in a relationship with Him. He's my Valentine. Sounds cheesy, but I am cheesy. And besides... it's the truth.
"This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also to love one another." ~ 1 John 4:9-11


No comments: