Sunday, February 26, 2012

Wacky weather

Well it's been quite a week. It's been quite a weekend.

Right now I'm sitting in Starbucks and the sun is streaming in through the window warming my face and blinding my eyes. I mean typing is a bit of a challenge.
But oddly enough earlier this morning I had to call my dad to come and rescue me. Literally I was "hailed" in. Within a matter of minutes we had a solid inch of ice-pellets covering our driveway and lane. I mean seriously?! I pulled my car out of the garage went 2 yards and then backed in back in because I wasn't going anywhere.
"Well looks like I'm walking to church today, or just calling it quits."
Calling my dad instead to see how the rest of the greater Eastside fared, he sounded really confused...
"What hail? What are you talking about Jessika? I'm on my way home. I've gotta pick up the truck... I'll be there in a couple minutes."
I asked him if he could pick me up and drive me to church and he said that would be fine.
Well sure enough he figured it out.

It was the craziest thing. Hopping in the truck he turned the windshield wipers on which created a giant pile of that white stuff as a buffer between the blades and the wiper-well. Wheels spinning we just barely make it up the bunny slope that is our lane.
Dad's laughing.
I still don't get it.

Turning on to the main street we literally go one block. One. Block.
Not a single ice pellet or white fleck to be found. It was as if the heavens opened up and released all it's fury right over my home. Just like a comic - You know... the raincloud (hail storm in our case) following a single person. I kid you not. It was weird.

But I made it to church. A little late, but I made it nonetheless. And it was great. The message was one that the Lord has been hitting home these days


So what was this crazy-amazing message that someone didn't want me to hear?

Love.
Without love I am nothing. It doesn't matter what I do, or what I say, if love isn't before, behind, above, below, inside and all around it then it's meaningless. Utterly.
But more importantly, if I'm not receiving love, true love, Jesus's love, then I'm absolutely incapable of doing any of this.

So in this Lenten season, I'm giving up. Thats it. Giving up and letting the Lord in. Letting Him really love me. Sounds crazy I know. Why wouldn't I? Why haven't I?
The truth is I have. But there's always room to grow.
Room to bloom.
After all, Spring is on it's way... Hail can't change that.

No comments: