Thursday, February 2, 2012

good. Great. better. Best. And Rest.


Hello all! Boy it sure has been a busy month. Is it really February already? I mean really?! I was just getting used to writing 1/2012. Now I've gotta change it again? Well I have some good news, great news, better news and best news for you all.

So good news: I'm back taking the the third and final installment in the Creative Non-Fiction Writing course offered through Bellevue College, so you can expect a lot of blogging from me over the next couple months (since yes, I am graded on it...). Hopefully this just get's me in the swing of things and I can ride on the wave of this good habit: writing writing writing!

Great news: PNB's U.S. premiere of Don Quixote premieres in just a couple days!!! We have two full hair, makeup and costume dress rehearsals which means a long day for me, but an exciting one nonetheless. I promise you you'll be hearing about this soon! 

Better news: Since last July I've been privileged to be a part of the planning committee for my church's upcoming Women's Retreat. And with all that's happened the past couple months... wait. No. One month Jessika. It's only been one month. Anyway, with all that's happened between school starting, Don Q premiering, and Grandpa in the hospital I'm gonna need this getaway with God and my gal-pals to the lovely Leavenworth, WA. So the post below is something I wrote for the Retreat blog that I thought I'd share here, really because I liked it, and I hope it inspires anyone who reads this blog to sign up and come too. 

But the best news: God is GREAT! Grandpa Fred continues to get stronger. There are still bumps in the road... We found out yesterday that he has pneumonia and may need a pacemaker, but these aren't epic concerns. Of course my family and I would still appreciate and covet your prayers for him and us, but, well all I can say is praise Jesus, my Rock, my Redeemer, my Savior and my King! What a kind, compassionate, loving and faithful God we serve! His blessings overwhelm me. His Presence fills me with His enduring hope and perfect peace. 

Grandpa Fred with Uncle Kyle & Auntie Lindsay.
Two thumbs up Grandpa!!! You got this! No. God's got this!

So without further adieu, here is the little bit I wrote about why you women (sorry guys) should come for a weekend getaway... Read it and see if you don't agree with me. But more importantly sign up! Registration closes this weekend. That means SUNDAY. 4 days. You can click here to sign up. I promise you, you won't regret it!


Well 2012 is well underway. And so is our planning for Delight in you, Westminster Chapel's Women's retreat. It's been two years since we've had a women's retreat and I have to say I'm really looking forward to it. Really looking forward.
I don't know about you, but I'm feeling pretty spent these days. I guess the holidays will do that. And truthfully, 2012 hasn't been off to the glittering start that the New Years always seems to promise. In fact it's been a very hard 11 days. With a loved one in the hospital, winter quarter at Bellevue College beginning, and work amping up, I find that all I want - all I crave is rest.
Rest.
Doesn't that sound good?
I can't be the only one out there who feels this way...
I think that's why I'm so excited for this retreat.
A retreat is by definition "an act or process of withdrawing especially from what is difficult, dangerous or disagreeable," and boy has this year ever been difficult thus far. But running away from your problems never solves anything, right? Inevitably you return home and there they are, waiting for you at your front door.
But there's another definition for retreat...
"a period of group withdrawal for prayer, meditation, study or instruction..." 
You see, I'm not running away from what's difficult, dangerous or disagreeable in my life... I'm running toward something. I'm running to the only One who can actually help me with the challenges I face in life. I'm running to the big, strong embrace of Christ. And in Him I can find rest. In Him I can find peace. In Him I can find power, strength and direction to deal with all that waits for me back at home.
And the great thing is I'm not the only one running. I'm not alone. I've got some great company. Hopefully that includes you! 

So please register for our retreat this year. It's going to be restful. It's going to be restorative. It's going to be transformative. And what a treat it will be to pray with you, meditate on how the Lord delights in each of us, and study how we can delight ourselves in Him. Together.
Hope you'll join us Friday March 9th.

And just a reminder registration closes soon! The last day is February 5th so sign up now!

In Him,

Jessika Anspach

No comments: